Ramaphosa sends army to Eastern Cape following surge in organised crime

Cape Town
Babalo Ndenze

Babalo Ndenze

17 February 2026 | 15:15

In the Eastern Cape, he says, the deployment will target organised crimes, including rampant extortion.

Ramaphosa sends army to Eastern Cape following surge in organised crime

President Cyril Ramaphosa during the SONA debate on Tuesday, 17 February 2026. Picture: Parliament.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has extended the deployment of the army in the fight against crime to the Eastern Cape.

The province has been added to the programme following last week's announcement that the army will be deployed to the Western Cape and Gauteng to help police fight gang violence and illegal mining.

Acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia told the SONA debate on Tuesday afternoon that the South African National Defence Force will be deployed to the three provinces in the next ten days.

In the Eastern Cape, he says, the deployment will target organised crimes, including rampant extortion.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News