KZN political killings task team to resume probe into 121 dockets allegedly taken by Sibiya

Kgomotso Modise
29 August 2025 | 5:31On Thursday, National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola announced that the dockets were being returned to the task team.
National Commissioner of the SAPS, General Fannie Masemola. Picture: @GP_CommSafety/X
JOHANNESBURG - The KwaZulu-Natal political killings task team will resume its investigation into 121 dockets that were snatched from the unit allegedly by crime detection boss Shadrack Sibiya.
On Thursday, National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola announced that the dockets were being returned to the task team.
ALSO READ:
- Gauteng’s political killings task team to be launched in next 4 weeks: Masemola
- SAPS confirms Mkhwanazi's dockets that he claims were taken irregularly have returned
In his explosive press briefing in July, KZN commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi revealed that the dockets had been taken by Sibiya and now-suspended Minister of Police Senzo Mchunu, accusing them of interference.
The return of the 121 dockets from the crime detection office to the KZN political killings task team means investigations will resume and prosecutions may follow.
Masemola said it’s not likely to be a swift process.
"By nature, the dockets that are carried by the political task teams are not simple; they are very complicated. It’s not easy to investigate them and so you really don’t expect arrest soon in those dockets. They are quite complex. They vary from murder, attempted murder and intimidation."
Masemola said the dockets were inspected by detectives for any disparities, and if any tampering is suspected, it would be flagged.
Get the whole picture 💡
Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.