Cash-in-transit heist suspects killed in KZN linked to several heists in Gauteng
The group was killed on Wednesday during a shootout with officers in KwaMashu, north of the city.
Picture: EWN
DURBAN - Police claim five suspected cash-in-transit gang members who were killed in Durban have been linked to several cash-in-transit heists in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
The group was killed on Wednesday during a shootout with officers in KwaMashu, north of the city.
Police believe the gang blew up an armored cash van on the M25 highway in the area on Monday.
ALSO READ:
- Cash-in-transit heist suspects killed in shootout with KZN cops
The incident occurred when members of the police and the Hawks intercepted the group of men in Ridgeview, near Chesterville.
Police claim that at the time they intercepted the suspected cash-in-transit gang, they were en route to commit another heist.
KZN Police Commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi: "The five that are lying in the car behind me are notorious with these cash-in-transit heists because they are involved in a number of cash-in-transits in Gauteng as well. It is not a group from KZN, they came from Gauteng to do the job, and we all know the job they did in KwaMashu on Monday," said Mkhwanazi.
Mkhwanazi said they received information from Crime Iintelligence about the gang earlier this week and police were monitoring their movements.
"All these successes we have been getting the foundation is from the work Crime Intelligence is doing," he added.
He also stated that the owner of the home in Ridgeview where the suspects were renting was also being investigated.