Inquiry into the deadly Marshalltown fire resumes
Alpha Ramushwana
22 January 2024 | 5:18The first responders at the site of the blaze will continue giving evidence before the panel of commissioners at the Sci-Bono Discovery Centre in Johannesburg.
JOHANNESBURG - The commission of inquiry into the deadly Marshalltown fire that killed 77 people is set to resume on Monday morning.
The first responders at the site of the blaze will continue giving evidence before the panel of commissioners at the sci-bono discovery centre in Johannesburg.
The inquiry is probing the possible cause of the deadly fire at the hijacked five-storey building almost 5 months ago.
The commission of inquiry into the Marshalltown fire has faced several delays since it was established last year.
This includes issues with the venue and the recusal case of Thulani Makhubela as a commissioner.
Makhubela recently came under fire for xenophobic sentiments he posted on his social media – supporting the vigilante-style crackdowns by operation dudula.
First responders, including firefighters, private emergency officials and activists have taken the stand in the commission.
They’ve told the commissioner justice Sisi Khampepe that safety regulations in the building were ignored making it a disaster waiting to happen.
During proceedings, some victims pointed the finger at operation dudula who they believe was behind the fatal blaze.
Trending News
More in Local

18 February 2026 18:30
Hamilton Ndlovu's appeal attempt dismissed by high court

18 February 2026 16:45
Amber Lee Hughes says she believed killing Nada Jane Challita was attempt to save her from life of neglect

18 February 2026 16:30
Sibiya says some dockets investigated by PKTT remained untouched for years











