WATCH LIVE: SIU before Special Tribunal over irregular FS PPE contracts
The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) wants the tribunal to halt all payments due to 32 suppliers of surgical gowns to the Free State Health Department after uncovering irregularities in the contracts which cost R39.1 million cumulatively.
ConCourt asks if govt was aware it wouldn’t afford the wage agreement hikes
Lawyers representing trade unions at the hearing have argued that the state’s decision to renege on the 2018 wage agreement was not influenced by illegality as the government has stated.
Nehawu: No evidence Treasury objected to disputed clause in 2018 wage deal
The union and others are appealing a Labour Appeal Court judgment on Tuesday that found the clause guaranteeing workers salary increases for 2020 was invalid as it was not approved by National Treasury in terms of existing regulations.
Public sector’s unbudgeted wage bill goes against Constitution - govt
Last year, government reneged on the deal which promised workers salary increases on the basis that the wage agreement was illegal as the National Treasury had not approved it.
Public sector unions head to ConCourt in bid to reinstate 2020 wage increases
This comes after the government won initial court cases in the Labour Court and Labour Appeal Court, where it was ruled that the collective agreement was invalid despite the government and unions having signed on it in 2018.
ANC ratifies nearly 10,000 candidates nominated for October poll
The African National Congress (ANC) said the nomination process was followed by rigorous screening and interviews with regional panels and provincial list committees, describing the process as the most democratic and participatory in the country.
Water dept dissolves committee meant to probe irregular expenditure
The department has also been a hotbed for corruption and fraudulent activity, which has hampered the smooth delivery of the critical resource, which is guaranteed to citizens in the Constitution.
Ex-GP Health CFO fails in bid to implicate Makhura, Lukhele in PPE scandal
Kabelo Lehloeny filed a third-party notice at the Special Tribunal, seeking to implicate Premier David Makhura and former department head Mkhululi Lukhele, in the recovery processes against her which were instituted by the Special Investigating Unit (SIU).
Makhura caused financial losses through illegal PPE contracts, Tribunal hears
This comes after the Special Investigating Unit’s application that former Gauteng health chief financial officer Kabelo Lehloenya, former department head Mkhululi Lukhele and the MEC for health in the province be held liable for the financial losses suffered by the department.
Makhura's lawyer says ex-Gauteng Health CFO's Special Tribunal submission vague
The Special Investigating Unit has filed an application in the Special Tribunal against Lehloenya and former Gauteng Health HOD Mkhululi Lukhele seeking to recover monies allegedly paid to PPE service providers unlawfully.
Makhura dismisses accusations of being guilty of wrongdoing over PPE contracts
Former Gauteng Health Department chief financial officer, Kabelo Lehloenya, stated in submissions to the Special Tribunal that Gauteng Premier David Makhura and the Gauteng government should be found liable for the losses incurred by the state.
Ex-Gauteng Health Dept CFO takes on SIU at Special Tribunal over PPE contracts
Kabelo Lehloenya was among the key signatories of the 'unlawful' multi-million rand personal protective equipment (PPE) contracts, which were issued by the Gauteng government at the onset of the pandemic.
JSE experiences delays in start of trading for equity market
This comes after a record-breaking day of trades in equities.
CPI comes in at 4.6% for July - Stats SA
This is lower than the 4.9% in June and 5.2% in May.
35 Marikana claimants rejected govt's R500k offer, Solicitor-General reveals
The families have claimed R1.5 million each for general and constitutional damages.
More than R170m paid out to Marikana massacre claimants so far, says govt
Describing the horrific events as an incident, Solicitor-General Pandelani said that the government was briefing the public on the progress to demystify the narrative that it was not caring.
Expansion of Durban Port to cost R100bn over 10 years - Gordhan
Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan said that a port masterplan had already been developed and was undergoing consultations.
Transnet to issue request to look for private investors for its Durban port
Group CEO Portia Derby told journalists on Monday that the project would cost R100 billion and currently, Transnet would not be able to foot the bill.