Desperate locals defy warnings to dig for gold in Springs

Johannesburg
Nokukhanya Mntambo

Nokukhanya Mntambo

17 February 2026 | 13:46

This follows rumours of untapped minerals near a disused shaft sparking a gold rush in the area.

Desperate locals defy warnings to dig for gold in Springs

Locals at the Gugulethu informal settlement believe they may have discovered gold. Picture: Sphamandla Dlamini/EWN

Locals digging for gold at an informal settlement in Springs say they are desperate to make ends meet to feed their families, despite breaking the law.

This follows rumours of untapped minerals near a disused shaft, sparking a gold rush in the area. Since then, scores of people have been digging in a cattle kraal on a neighbour’s plot, where they believe there are sufficient deposits.

The Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources has warned the illegal miners and locals of mining without applying for the correct permit.

But Nontombi Mgijima, the owner of the kraal, says she doesn’t believe the warning from the department and law enforcement will deter the gold diggers.

“They say they are hungry and living in poverty," Mgijima said. "At least here, they will be able to get something, even if it’s small.”

ALSO READ:

Springs gold mining spree: 'There was never an agreement,' says land owner

Locals from Springs informal settlement continue to dig for gold deposits

Image

Locals continue to dig 

What would be a cattle kraal has now turned into a mini mine. It costs R20 for entry. The plot is the size of two soccer fields.

Looking out across, one can hardly count the number of holes now dug by the locals hoping to strike gold.

Some are illegal miners, while others are novices, unclear what they’re looking for.

After loading several buckets onto a bakkie, they’ll make their way to a nearby river to sift the waste from any gold that may be present.

Those who have been lucky said they’ve sold it off and earned at least R3,000 at a time.

Image

'There was never an agreement,' says land owner

Mgijima says she initially demanded a payment of between R20 and R50 for entry, adding that it is difficult to monitor who has or hasn’t paid for what would be prospecting rights. 

“There was never an agreement, they didn’t sit down with us requesting permission to mine for gold. They just arrived and started digging.” 

Earlier, Ekurhuleni metro police were on site, resulting in everyone at the kraal scattering briefly. 

It is understood the ward councillor has called a community meeting later on Tuesday.

However, the locals claim they’ve never met the councillor and are not interested in talks that don’t present solutions on the socioeconomic issues they face.

Get the whole picture 💡

Take a look at the topic timeline for all related articles.

Trending News