Zanzou case: Defence lawyers say releasing suspect on bail won't disturb public order
The 41-year-old bouncer has brought a bail application to the magistrates court.
Zanzou nightclub in Pretoria. Picture: Katlego Jiyane/EWN
JOHANNESBURG - Lawyers representing the man accused of the sexual violation of young men at a Pretoria night club have asked the court not to give in to society's outrage.
The 41-year-old bouncer has brought a bail application to the magistrates court.
He was arrested in March after videos surfaced showing the men being assaulted by security at the club.
ALSO READ:
- Zanzou case: State wants court to consider accused's violence before granting him bail
- Zanzou nightclub sexual assault case: Accused pleads with court for bail denial
- State argues it's safer for Zanzou nightclub torture suspect to be kept in jail
Nakedi Mamogobo, the lawyer for the 41-year-old Congolese national, has argued that it would not be in the interest of justice to deny him bail because he was not a flight risk and he had declared his previous theft conviction.
They told the court that if the man is not released, his wife and children would be rendered homeless.
Mamogobo said if the accused was released on bail, it would not disturb public order, as there had been no demonstrations against his release outside the court.
Meanwhile, the State said more victims continued to come forward and the man must be taken through more identity parades.
Judgment on bail will be handed down next Wednesday.