Kgomotso Modise3 April 2025 | 11:35

Zanzou nightclub sexual assault case: Accused pleads with court for bail denial

The 41-year-old Congolese national returned to the dock on Thursday for a continuation of his bail hearing.

Zanzou nightclub sexual assault case: Accused pleads with court for bail denial

The Zanzou nightclub in Pretoria. Picture: Katlego Jiyane/EWN

PRETORIA - The State in the case against a bouncer from the Zanzou night club has pleaded with the Pretoria High Court to deny him bail, saying if he wants to flee trial he will.

The 41-year-old Congolese national returned to the dock on Thursday for a continuation of his bail hearing.

He was arrested last month, following a video that went viral on social media depicting young men at the club being sexually violated.

The man, who cannot be named or filmed as he will be taken through more identity parades, says he wants bail so he can continue financially providing for his wife and children.

ALSO READ:

Masemola assures victims of Zanzou nightclub torture that witness protection will be made available

1 person arrested in connection with Zanzou nightclub torture

Zanzou not authorised to operate as a nightclub - Tshwane Municipality

His lawyers have argued he cannot be deemed a flight risk because he came to South Africa as an asylum seeker and has a temporary asylum seeker permit that is due to expires in July.

Meanwhile, prosecutor Liana Bosman says the permit was only issued in February this year, but he arrived in the country in 2012.

Bosman says the same way he entered the country illegally, and stayed without documentation for years is exactly how he will leave the country.

Judgement on bail will be delivered next Wednesday.