Kgomotso Modise3 April 2025 | 5:14

Zanzou nightclub bouncer returns to court for bail hearing

The 41-year-old asylum seeker was arrested last month after a video surfaced showing young men at the Pretoria night club being sexually violated by bouncers.

Zanzou nightclub bouncer returns to court for bail hearing

Zanzou nightclub in Pretoria. Picture: Katlego Jiyane/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - The bouncer accused of the Zanzou nightclub assaults will return to the Pretoria Magistrates Court on Thursday for his bail hearing.

The 41-year-old asylum seeker was arrested in March after a video surfaced showing young men at the Pretoria night club being sexually violated by bouncers.

He has pleaded with the court to grant him bail so that he can take care of his family.

The 41-year-old Congolese national, who cannot be named as he is due to be taken through an identity parade, argued that if he was not released on bail, his three children and his wife would run the risk of being homeless.

But the State has opposed bail, saying it was for his own safety that he be kept behind bars.

Prosecutors said the accused told the investigating officer that he feared the other bouncers he worked with, and that his wife had been receiving suspicious phone calls.

They have also pointed out that he came to South Africa without a passport, and he could easily skip the country.

On Thursday, both parties will make their arguments for bail.