Nokukhanya Mntambo2 April 2025 | 17:29

SA Embassy in Bangkok says 11 citizens were affected by earthquake

More than 2,700 people have died so far, with the number still expected to rise as disaster teams continue to work around the clock.

SA Embassy in Bangkok says 11 citizens were affected by earthquake

People search through the debris of a destroyed building as they look for survivors in Mandalay on 29 March 2025, a day after an earthquake struck central Myanmar. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - The South African Embassy in Bangkok says 11 South African citizens have been affected by Friday’s deadly earthquake in Myanmar.

More than 2,700 people have died so far, with the number still expected to rise as disaster teams continue to work around the clock.

The 7.7-magnitude quake and its aftershocks were felt in southern China, Vietnam and as far away as Bangkok, Thailand’s capital.

ALSO READ: Global aid effort begins for Myanmar quake relief

The disaster has also left extensive damage to property and many injured.

Spokesperson to the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Chrispin Phiri says the affected South Africans have been offered support.

“The government of the Republic of South Africa expresses its deepest condolences to the peoples of Thailand and Myanmar following the devastating earthquake that has resulted in significant loss of life and extensive damage to property.”