Pioneer Foods recalls some LiquiFruit products after toxin found in it
The recall affects various products, including LiquiFruit Clear Apple in 250ml cartons and 330ml cans as well as 1 litre cartons.
JOHANNESBURG - Pioneer Foods has announced a recall of some Liquifruit products after they were found to have elevated levels of the toxin patulin.
Patulin is a naturally occurring mycotoxin commonly associated with apples, Pioneer Foods explained in a statement.
It said that its recall was based on the presence of the mycotoxin exceeding 50 parts per billion (microgram/kg), which was the regulatory threshold.
It's a toxin produced by a variety of moulds and can cause gastrointestinal distress.
Pioneer Foods has traced the toxin to a batch of apple juice concentrate.
The recall affects various products, including LiquiFruit Clear Apple, in 250ml cartons and 330ml cans as well as 1 litre cartons.
The recal affects the following products:
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 250ml carton - Barcode: 60052599 - Production date (PD) 11.06.2021 / Best Before date (BB) 11.06.2022
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 330ml can - Barcode 6001240225561 - PD 07.06.2021/BB 07.06.2022 PD 08.06.2021/BB 08.06.2022
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 300ml can - Barcode: 6001240239346 - PD 21.06.2021/BB 21.06.2022
- LiquiFruit Clear Apple 1L - Barcode 6001048000339 - PD 07.06.2021/BB 07.06.2022 PD 08.06.2021/BB 08.06.2022
The following Ceres 100% Apple Juice product sold outside of South Africa are also affected:
- Ceres Apple 4x6x200ml - Barcode - 6001240200018 - PD 14.06.2021/BB 14.06.2022 PD 21.06.2021/BB 21.06.2022 PD 22.06.2021/BB 22.06.2022
- Ceres Apple Sparkling 275 ml glass - Barcode: 6001240222676 - PD 14.06.2021/BB 14.06.2022 PD 15.06.2021/BB 15.06.2022
- Ceres Apple 12x1L - Barcode: 6001240100011 - PD 17.06.2021/BB 17.06.2022 PD 18.06.2021/BB 18.06.2022 PD 21.06.2021/BB 21.06.2022 PD 22.06.2021/BB 22.06.2022