Makhura ‘notes’ Lesufi’s side of the story on tender saga

Premier Makhura’s spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga would not be drawn into discussing whether the provincial head will be looking into this audio recording.

FILE: Gauteng MEC for Education Panyaza Lesufi and Gauteng Premier David Makhura on 15 February 2021. Picture: Xanderleigh Dookey Makhaza/Eyewitness News.

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Premier David Makhura on Monday said he had “noted” the explanation provided by Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi following allegations that he convened a secret meeting to discuss departmental tenders with businesspeople.

On Sunday, the City Press revealed details about an audio recording that ostensibly implicates the MEC.

Eyewitness News is also in possession of the recording, but Lesufi said it was tampered with.

READ: EFF call for Panyaza Lesufi’s head after alleged tender meddling

Premier Makhura’s spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga would not be drawn into discussing whether the provincial head will be looking into this audio recording.

Meanwhile, MEC Lesufi has dismissed the allegations as baseless and unfounded.

He said the recording, which had been circulating on social media since the story broke, was “seriously manipulated and tampered with”.

He said he had merely explained how contracts were advertised and adjudicated in government during a community meeting in Soshanguve, in Tshwane.

He said he was fully aware that there were forces at play who sought to destroy his character.

The Gauteng Department of Education is, however, not new to scandal.

Investigations are still under way after it emerged the department paid R430 million of taxpayers money to deep clean schools unnecessarily.

Meanwhile, the Economic Freedom Fighters are calling for Lesufi's removal from office following claims that he's tried to meddle in tender processes.

Download the Eyewitness News app to your iOS or Android device.