Zandile Gumede & co-accused face 2,786 counts as case moves to High Court

The accused - who include private entities and municipal officials - allegedly colluded in a waste collection tender amounting to over R430 million.

Former eThekwini Mayor Zandile Gumede and 21 others appeared in the Durban Commercial Crimes Court on 23 March 2021. Their case has been transferred to the Durban High Court for a pre-trial conference. Picture: Nkosikhona Duma/Eyewitness News.

DURBAN - The fraud, corruption and racketeering case against former eThekwini Mayor Zandile Gumede and 21 co-accused has been transferred to the Durban High Court.

Pre-trial proceedings have been set down for 14 June.

The accused - who include private entities and municipal officials - allegedly colluded in a waste collection tender amounting to over R430 million.

READ: IFP drops legal bid to oust ANC's corruption tainted Gumede from KZN legislature

In December last year, the Durban Commercial Crimes Court postponed the case against Gumede and the others after the State requested more time to process a forensic audit report.

Gumede is facing a total of 2,786 counts along with her co-accused.

This has been revealed in a 324-page indictment submitted to the Durban Commercial Crimes Court on Tuesday.

READ: Gumede supporters worried about her political future amid fraud, corruption case

The National Prosecuting Authority's Natasha Kara said: “Their bails have been extended and the matter was remanded to 14 June 2021.”

Kara said the defence had also been supplied with a forensic audit report and dockets implicating the accused following a previous court order.

Download the Eyewitness News app to your iOS or Android device.