20°C / 22°C
  • Sat
  • 21°C
  • 9°C
  • Sun
  • 22°C
  • 11°C
  • Mon
  • 23°C
  • 12°C
  • Tue
  • 23°C
  • 11°C
  • Wed
  • 23°C
  • 12°C
  • Sat
  • 19°C
  • 13°C
  • Sun
  • 21°C
  • 15°C
  • Mon
  • 20°C
  • 13°C
  • Tue
  • 19°C
  • 14°C
  • Wed
  • 20°C
  • 15°C
  • Sat
  • 23°C
  • 11°C
  • Sun
  • 23°C
  • 12°C
  • Mon
  • 25°C
  • 13°C
  • Tue
  • 25°C
  • 13°C
  • Wed
  • 26°C
  • 13°C
  • Sat
  • 21°C
  • 6°C
  • Sun
  • 23°C
  • 8°C
  • Mon
  • 23°C
  • 8°C
  • Tue
  • 23°C
  • 8°C
  • Wed
  • 24°C
  • 8°C
  • Sat
  • 22°C
  • 16°C
  • Sun
  • 25°C
  • 16°C
  • Mon
  • 27°C
  • 19°C
  • Tue
  • 26°C
  • 19°C
  • Wed
  • 24°C
  • 18°C
  • Sat
  • 18°C
  • 13°C
  • Sun
  • 24°C
  • 14°C
  • Mon
  • 20°C
  • 14°C
  • Tue
  • 21°C
  • 15°C
  • Wed
  • 20°C
  • 16°C
  • Sat
  • 23°C
  • 12°C
  • Sun
  • 25°C
  • 12°C
  • Mon
  • 24°C
  • 10°C
  • Tue
  • 21°C
  • 11°C
  • Wed
  • 23°C
  • 12°C
  • Sat
  • 20°C
  • 12°C
  • Sun
  • 22°C
  • 13°C
  • Mon
  • 21°C
  • 12°C
  • Tue
  • 21°C
  • 13°C
  • Wed
  • 21°C
  • 14°C
  • Sat
  • 23°C
  • 10°C
  • Sun
  • 24°C
  • 10°C
  • Mon
  • 26°C
  • 11°C
  • Tue
  • 25°C
  • 12°C
  • Wed
  • 26°C
  • 11°C
  • Sat
  • 20°C
  • 3°C
  • Sun
  • 23°C
  • 6°C
  • Mon
  • 23°C
  • 6°C
  • Tue
  • 23°C
  • 6°C
  • Wed
  • 23°C
  • 7°C
  • Sat
  • 24°C
  • 11°C
  • Sun
  • 28°C
  • 10°C
  • Mon
  • 29°C
  • 11°C
  • Tue
  • 28°C
  • 11°C
  • Wed
  • 29°C
  • 10°C
  • Sat
  • 17°C
  • 12°C
  • Sun
  • 22°C
  • 13°C
  • Mon
  • 18°C
  • 12°C
  • Tue
  • 19°C
  • 13°C
  • Wed
  • 18°C
  • 13°C

Liverpool puts non-player staff into partial unemployment

Three other elite clubs, Tottenham, Newcastle, and Norwich had already announced similar measures.

Liverpool announced on Saturday that it will place part of its non-player staff on short work due.

JOHANNESBURG - Liverpool announced on Saturday that it will place part of its non-player staff on short work due to the economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

Employees will benefit from the partial unemployment program set up by the British government which supports 80% of income up to 2,500 pounds per month, the club adding the remaining 20%.

"Employees will be paid 100% of their salary to ensure that no staff member is financially disadvantaged," said the leader of the championship of England in a statement.

Three other elite clubs, Tottenham, Newcastle, and Norwich, had already announced similar measures.

The use of short-time working by Liverpool leaders, who announced in February pre-tax profits of £ 42 million (€ 47 million) for 2018/19, has drawn criticism.

Former Reds, Jamie Carragher, and Stan Collymore castigated the club's decision.

"Jurgen Klopp showed compassion for everyone at the start of this pandemic, executive players were heavily involved in the Premier League players' pay cuts. And all that respect and goodwill is gone down, Liverpool, "Carragher tweeted.

Collymore was more virulent: "I do not know any Liverpool supporter of any rank who is not disgusted by the club for having put staff on short work".

Regarding the players and possible salary cuts, the Mersey club added that "the discussions are complex and, therefore, the process is underway".

A statement came after the British government on Thursday called on Premier League players accused of taking advantage of economic support measures to forfeit part of their wages.

Comments

EWN welcomes all comments that are constructive, contribute to discussions in a meaningful manner and take stories forward.

However, we will NOT condone the following:

- Racism (including offensive comments based on ethnicity and nationality)
- Sexism
- Homophobia
- Religious intolerance
- Cyber bullying
- Hate speech
- Derogatory language
- Comments inciting violence.

We ask that your comments remain relevant to the articles they appear on and do not include general banter or conversation as this dilutes the effectiveness of the comments section.

We strive to make the EWN community a safe and welcoming space for all.

EWN reserves the right to: 1) remove any comments that do not follow the above guidelines; and, 2) ban users who repeatedly infringe the rules.

Should you find any comments upsetting or offensive you can also flag them and we will assess it against our guidelines.

EWN is constantly reviewing its comments policy in order to create an environment conducive to constructive conversations.

comments powered by Disqus