Sports Minister 'assured' Comrades Marathon will not go ahead
In tweet on Tuesday night, the minister said that Athletics South Africa president Aleck Skhosana had reassured him that the 90km Down Run would not go ahead this year.
CAPE TOWN - Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa said that he had been assured that the Comrades Marathon would not go ahead this year following the government's ban on gatherings of more than 100 people on Sunday as it sought to contain the spread of the coronavirus in the country.
In tweet on Tuesday night, the minister said that Athletics South Africa president Aleck Skhosana had "reassured" him that the 90km Down Run would not go ahead this year.
The President of @AthleticsSA, Aleck Skhosana, has just reassured me that the #ComradesMarathon will NOT go ahead and he will ensure that all relevant parties and participants are informed.— Min. Nathi Mthethwa (@NathiMthethwaSA) March 17, 2020
Please note: By law, no athletics event will go ahead without prior government approval.
This comes in the wake of comments by the minister on Tuesday saying that it was irresponsible for the ultra marathon to go ahead.
The organisers of the ultra marathon on Monday said that it would review the situation by 17 April and advise participants on whether the race would go ahead or not depending on the status of the virus in the country at the time.
But with the minister's tweet, it is expected that an announcement will now be made sooner.