Super Rugby suspended over coronavirus concerns
Fans can enjoy rugby until the end of the weekend as the tournament will be suspended from Monday until further notice.
JOHANNESBURG – The 2020 Vodacom Super Rugby tournament has been suspended because of concerns globally over the Coronavirus (COVID-19), The organisation that oversees Super Rugby SANZAAR said in a statement.
SANZAAR said the primary aim was to reduce exposure and spread of the virus.
Fans and spectators can enjoy rugby until the end of the weekend as the tournament will be suspended from Monday until further notice.
SANZAR CEO Andy Marinos said: “The safety and welfare of the public, our players and other stakeholders is paramount and as previously stated we were always going to abide by government and health authority instructions on the issue of COVID-19 containment.”
Marinos added that they are “extremely disappointed for the players, fans, broadcasters and partners but given the complexity of our competition structure, and the multiple geographies that we cover, we have no other option but to align with such directives.”
The players and managements of the Vodacom Bulls (who are currently in Australia) and Emirates Lions (New Zealand) will return to South Africa.
SANZAAR said it would issue further information on Vodacom Super Rugby 2020 tournament and any potential rescheduled fixtures in the days ahead.
To track the latest developments around the coronavirus both in South Africa and abroad, click on this live status report from Strategix.
Read the full statement below: