Lesufi meets with family, vows ‘decisive action’ after Laticia Jansen murder

The 15-year-old had been raped, stabbed and set alight after being left behind by scholar transport.

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi arrives at the home of Laticia Jansen who was raped and murdered. The MEC meet with the late pupil's family on Monday, 27 January 2020. Picture: Bonga Dlulane/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi arrived at the Graceland Education Centre on Monday morning to meet with the school’s management following the rape and murder of one of its pupils.

Lesufi also met with Laticia Jansen’s family on Monday after his meeting with the school. Jansen’s body was found in the bushes in Elsburg last week.

The 15-year-old had been raped, stabbed and set alight after being left behind by scholar transport.

Lesufi was greeted by the school's management at the gates of the education centre. He met with them searching for answers in the wake of Jansen’s murder.

Jansen was last seen walking home from school on the East Rand.

The MEC has promised a thorough investigation into the case and said he’d decisively act if the school was found to be in the wrong.


The Education MEC on Monday gave Graceland Education Centre until 2 pm to explain why no one knew that Jansen was absent from school for three days.

Lesufi said he was shocked to learn that the school was unaware of her disappearance and found out from him that the Germiston pupil had been raped and murdered.

A dejected Lesufi said he was heartbroken following the crime.

“No one could give me answers on the issues I wanted. The school was not aware that she was not there. A parent came to say that the child was missing and was told to go to the police. They didn’t follow up on Friday when the child was still missing.”

Lesufi has vowed to hold the school responsible if the investigation finds staff were negligent.

“We can’t continue with these types of situations.”

The Jansen family has declined to speak to their media, saying they’re trying to come to terms with the girl's death.


The community of Elsburg in Germiston is in shock following the brutal murder of the 15-year-old teenager.

The education department’s Steve Mabona said Jansen’s grandmother was turned away from the police station when she tried to file a missing person’s report after the grade nine pupil failed to return home from school on Wednesday.

“She was informed to bring a photograph of the child, but no action was taken.”

Mabona said the grandmother then reported the matter to the school before mobilising community members to help her search for her granddaughter.