UPDATE: 9 dead, 20 others injured in N3 multi-vehicle collision
City of Ekurhuleni officials suspect a roadside veld fire could have reduced visibility along a stretch of the N3 South, contributing to the pile-up.
JOHANNESBURG - Police have opened a case of culpable homicide and reckless driving after nine people were killed and at least 20 others were injured on Monday in a multiple vehicle collision on the N3 near the Barry Marais off-ramp in Vosloorus, Ekurhuleni.
ER24’s Russel Meiring said at least eight vehicles, including trucks, were involved in the pile-up.
He said several people were found lying on the road with others still trapped inside cars when paramedics arrived at the scene.
"Paramedics assessed the patients and found that nine people had sustained fatal injuries. Nothing could be done for them and they were declared dead.
"At least twenty other patients were attended to on the scene. Assessments showed that the injuries sustained ranged from minor to critical," he said.
On Monday afternoon, the City of Ekurhuleni’s disaster management service said it was unclear what caused Monday the accident, but officials suspected a roadside veld fire could have reduced visibility along a stretch of the N3 South, contributing to the pile-up.
“We can confirm that seven people have been declared dead on the scene, of which one of them was burned beyond recognition,” William Ntladi, district manager media liaison of the city's emergency services, said.
Ntladi said the N3 South had been closed.
“Cases of culpable homicide and reckless negligence were opened [and] we are going to determine what actually transpired before the accident happened,” said Gauteng police spokesperson, Captain Kay Makhubele.