'I found out 2 weeks after my son was killed' – Coligny teen’s mother
Pre-sentencing proceedings of Pieter Doorewaard and Philip Schutte, convicted of Matlhomola Moshoeu's murder back in 2017, are currently underway.
COLIGNY, North West – The mother of Coligny teenager Matlhomola Moshoeu has told the High Court she only found out about her son's murder two weeks after he had died.
Pre-sentencing proceedings of Pieter Doorewaard and Philip Schutte, convicted of his murder back in 2017, are currently underway.
WATCH: Coligny duo back in court for sentencing
The 16-year-old was pushed off a moving vehicle after being accused of stealing sunflowers.
Agnes Moshoeu has recalled a day when she was at work during her lunch break when she overheard her colleagues talking about a child that had been murdered.
She says it never crossed her mind that they were talking about her son.
The mother says she had left her son sleeping at home when she left for work, as it was school holidays.
She told the court her son always informed her of when he would go visit friend's at a nearby farm, but on the day he was murdered, he never said anything.
Moshoeu says she only got a confirmed report that her son had been killed after 14 days.
Moshoeu has told the High Court in the North West she will never forgive two men convicted of her son's murder.
The matter has been postponed to Thursday to allow the State and defence to prepare their closing arguments.
The State confirmed in court that they were approached by the defence, requesting to meet with Matlhomola’s parents to convey their condolences and assist the family in any way they can.
The defence says Doorewaard and Schutte also want to express their regret that the 16-year-old lost his life during the incident.
Moshoeu questioned why her son’s murderers only want to meet with her now. She told the court nothing will bring back her son and that the families reaching out now, are way too late. The mother says her only request is to see justice prevail.
(Edited by Shimoney Regter)