Sandton fire: It's safe for guests to return to Michelangelo Hotel

Officials from the fire department managed to contain the blaze and paramedics treated a few people for smoke inhalation.

An image of the fire at Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton, Johannesburg on 21 November 2018. Picture: @Grumples_RSA/Twitter

JOHANNESBURG - Management at the Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton say it's now safe for guests to return to the building after a nearby restaurant caught fire.

The hotel says it evacuated guests as a precautionary measure.

Officials from the fire department managed to contain the blaze and paramedics treated a few people for smoke inhalation.

WATCH: Sandton City fire: No casualties reported

A suction duct from a restaurant at Nelson Mandela square caught fire earlier on Wednesday and four floors of the building were affected.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the area, including guests staying at the nearby Michelangelo Hotel.

The hotel's Glenn Strutchbury said: “In the interests of our guests' safety, we made sure that we evacuated the hotel to make sure that everyone is safe. That was done and we’re pleased with services from the emergency services.”

On the other side of the mall, it has been business as usual with people doing their shopping.

(Edited by Thapelo Lekabe)