Mokholo: Report on R2.4bn SA Express fuel deal will determine if case is opened

Speaking exclusively to Eyewitness News on this issue, SA Express CEO Matsietsi Mokholo said there was pure disregard for internal processes when this deal was signed.

Picture: SA Express

JOHANNESBURG – SA Express acting CEO Matsietsi Mokholo says the final report on the investigation into a R2.4 billion fuel deal will determine whether or not the airline will approach law enforcement agencies.

The Sunday Times revealed that little-known music promoter Eldridge Motlhake was awarded the multi-billion rand three-year deal to supply SA Express with fuel despite the airline already having a contract to receive jet fuel from SAA.

Speaking exclusively to Eyewitness News on this issue on Wednesday, Mokholo said there was pure disregard for internal processes when this deal was signed.

Mokholo says the executives have since been suspended.

“We suspended them, pending the investigation. We met with the investigators last week and the report will be concluded in a week or so, and based on the report, we’ll be able to know the extent of the charges.

“But also the report will help us if indeed there would be a need to consider other measures outside the company.”

WATCH: SA Express CEO comes clean on corrupt R2.4bn fuel deal