Abrahams says will inform Zuma of process, timeline before making decision

The details are contained in a letter prosecutions boss Shaun Abrahams sent to President Jacob Zuma on Sunday in which he’s agreed to his request for a submission deadline extension.

FILE: Former National Director of Public Prosecution Shaun Abrahams. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN

PRETORIA - Prosecutions boss Shaun Abrahams says he’ll set timelines for deciding on whether to charge President Jacob Zuma with fraud and corruption only after he’s received fresh submissions from him.

The details are contained in a letter Abrahams sent to Zuma on Sunday in which he’s agreed to his request for a submission deadline extension.

Zuma was supposed to make submissions by the end of last month but has now been given until the end of January to do so.

In the letter, Abrahams tells President Zuma that he remains committed to bringing this matter to finality as soon as possible.

Abrahams says he will inform Zuma’s legal team after receiving his representations of the process and timeline to be followed before he makes a decision.

The advocate says he considered several factors, including possible prejudice to the parties involved in the matter and consulted with the prosecuting team before deciding to grant the deadline extension.

The president’s legal team cited prior litigation commitments, as well Zuma’s unavailability until after the African National Congress conference to consult with his legal team as reasons for the request.