Radebe: ANC elective conference will go ahead as planned

Earlier this month, former Finance Minister Trevor Manuel also expressed doubts about whether the event would go ahead.

FILE: Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN

CAPE TOWN - Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe says the African National Congress (ANC)’s elective conference will go ahead next month as planned.

As the governing party prepares to elect a new leader to take over from President Jacob Zuma, concerns have been raised that certain factions could try stop the conference from taking place.

Earlier this month, former Finance Minister Trevor Manuel also expressed doubts about whether the event would go ahead.

However, the ANC’s deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte said that the party would take every precaution to ensure it goes ahead smoothly.

Radebe agrees, saying that the party’s leadership will this weekend finalise its plans for next month’s gathering.

“Definitely there will be a conference in December, the national executive committee is having it's final meeting of the NEC on Saturday and Sunday in Pretoria.”

So far, the Western Cape and Northern Cape have nominated deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, while the Free State on Tuesday backed Dr Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma.

LISTEN: The Showdown: What the ANC race means for SA