NSRI continues search for boy at Melkbosstrand

The boy apparently got caught in a rip current on Sunday.

Picture: www.nsri.org.za.

CAPE TOWN - A search will continue on Monday for a 10-year-old child who disappeared while swimming in the Melkbosstrand area.

The boy apparently got caught in a rip current on Sunday.

The National Sea Rescue Institute's (NSRI) Craig Lambinon says that despite an extensive search operation, there’s no sign of the child.

“A police dive unit will continue with an ongoing search operation. The family is being supported by trauma counsellors.”

The NRSI says that sea rescue stations around the Cape Peninsula had reported an unusual increase in the number of people on beaches on Sunday.

As a result, NSRI crews were called in to man sea rescue stations and to conduct patrols.

The NSRI says that lifeguards, who start official duty the first weekend of November, were arranging a training exercise at the time and were able to be on the scene of the Melkbosstrand incident in a very short space of time.

At the same time, Rhine Barnes, NSRI Melkbosstrand station commander, says were not aware of a free ride service that had been offered to the public on Sunday.

“It had become increasingly noticeable, as the day progressed, that more people were arriving at the beach, particularly with municipal pools closed due to water restrictions.”

The NSRI says it will approach the MyCiTi bus authorities to request them to alert sea rescue and lifesaving members when free services are being offered to the public, so that they’ll be prepared for an influx of bathers.

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)