[EXCLUSIVE] Mkhwebane pleads to have Bankorp review postponed
The Public Protector’s legal team has told the deputy judge president that there are simply too many documents to read through and file an answering affidavit by next week's deadline.
PRETORIA - Two weeks after the Public Protector’s legal team dumped her, Eyewitness News can reveal that Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane has pleaded with the Pretoria deputy judge president to postpone the Bankorp-CIEX review application until next year.
The request was submitted this week despite the Public Protector’s office telling EWN last week that the withdrawal of her legal team will have no bearing or negative impact on the matter.
Absa, the Treasury and the Reserve Bank have all taken Mkhwebane’s controversial report into the so-called Bankorp apartheid-era lifeboat on review.
The remedial action which ordered Parliament to amend the central bank’s constitutional mandate has already been set aside.
The Public Protector’s legal team has told the deputy judge president that there are simply too many documents - about 7,000 in total - to read through and file an answering affidavit by the deadline, which is Monday.
While the matter was set down to be heard over three days in December, Mkhwebane wants to postpone her deadline to file papers until the 29 January.
Absa has rejected Mkhwebane’s request, saying in correspondence that the bank filed its founding affidavit more than two-and-a-half months ago.
It also criticised the Public Protector for the piecemeal fashion in which she delivered the record of decision to the applicants, which did not affect their ability to meet the court set deadlines.
Mkhwebane’s office did not respond to questions sent two days ago.