Lesufi lashes officials over handling of school sex harassment case
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi visited the school in Orlando East on Wednesday where he raised concerns over the handling of the case by both the school and district officials.
JOHANNESBURG – Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi is demanding an explanation from district officials on why it’s taken almost two weeks to act on allegations of sexual harassment at a Soweto primary school.
A 57-year-old school patroller was arrested earlier this week for allegedly targeting at least 54 girls from grade R to 7.
Lesufi visited the school in Orlando East on Wednesday where he raised concerns over the handling of the case by both the school and district officials.
The Education MEC says that he’s deeply worried about his department’s capacity to act swiftly in cases that require urgent intervention such as this case of sexual harassment against the Orlando Primary School patroller.
“But you only started to come up with intervention mechanisms from yesterday when it was clear that it is now in the public domain,” Lesufi said.
Meanwhile, visibly furious community members have accused the school of dragging its feet and compromising the safety of pupils.
“While you’re at work, you hear people talking about this and you don’t know about it.”
The patroller, whose contract has since been terminated, appeared in court on Wednesday where he was remanded in custody.
WATCH: 54 pupils allegedly sexually harassed at Orlando primary school