ANC MP concerned by lack of board at cash-strapped SABC
ANC MP Humphrey Maxegwana, who led the search for new SABC board members, is concerned that the cash-strapped public broadcaster is currently without a fully-functioning board.
CAPE TOWN - The African National Congress (ANC) MP who led the search for new board members to oversee affairs of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is concerned that the cash-strapped public broadcaster is currently without a fully-functioning board.
Humphrey Maxegwana, who chaired the Portfolio Committee on Communications, says MPs raced against the clock to find suitable candidates for the 12 posts.
But although the names were approved by the National Assembly earlier in September, President Jacob Zuma’s office says he won’t be appointing anyone before he is satisfied that Parliament has chosen fit and proper people for the job.
“I’m very worried about that… as I say, if the president’s office says they think they must do some work; what can we do?”
Maxegwana and the MPs in his committee worked against the clock to shortlist, vet and interview candidates to serve on the SABC board.
The process included a round of security checks.
They wanted to have a new governance structure in place before the previous board's term ended on Tuesday.
But the presidency's spokesperson Bongani Ngqulunga says appointments will only be made after they've screened the candidates.
“He now has to be certain that they are fit and suitable people to serve on the board.”
He says the president is treating the matter with the urgency it deserves.
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)