Suicide bomber attacks NATO convoy in Afghanistan, some wounded

A statement from the Taliban militants said 13 Americans had been killed and 11 wounded and three armoured vehicles destroyed.

FILE: In this photograph taken on 9 February 2017, an Italian soldier from NATO's Resolute Support Mission trains an Afghan National Army soldier at a Military Training centre on the outskirts of Herat. Picture: AFP

KABUL - A suicide bomber in an explosives-packed vehicle attacked a NATO convoy in Afghanistan on Monday, wounding “a small number” of foreign troops and at least three civilians, officials said.

The soldiers were taken to the nearby Bagram Air Field and none of their injuries appeared life-threatening, NATO’s headquarters in Kabul said.

At least three civilians were hurt, District Governor Abdul Shukor Qodossi said, without giving details on the extent of their injuries.

A statement from the Taliban militants said 13 Americans had been killed and 11 wounded and three armoured vehicles destroyed.

The attack came on the 16th anniversary of the attacks of 11 September 2001, which triggered the US-led military operation that toppled the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.