Police satisfied all procedures were followed into Kunene’s alleged shooting

The police’s Mathapelo Peters says a local and provincial team of forensic experts examined the car Kunene was driving in.

Pictures of the car Businessman Kenny Kunene was driving in after it was shot at on Wednesday evening. Picture:  Barry Bateman/EWN

PRETORIA – Police say they are satisfied all the required procedures were followed in the investigation into the alleged hit on businessman Kenny Kunene despite not retrieving several bullets from the car.

Eyewitness News revealed on Friday that investigators failed to collect potentially crucial evidence at the scene.

Kunene was allegedly shot at multiple times by at least two gunmen in Johannesburg on Tuesday night.

The controversial businessman was driving a female friend’s car at the time shortly after leaving the company of his friend, Sunday Independent editor Steve Motale.

The police’s Mathapelo Peters says a local and provincial team of forensic experts examined the car Kunene was driving in.

Although they failed to retrieve evidence from the body work, she says it is possible that they missed one or two items.

Private forensic consultant David Klatzow says he pulled the car apart to retrieve the evidence.

“It’s a matter of some concern to me that the car was at the penal beaters waiting to be repaired, so the police were clearly finished with the car and here are all the bits of evidence that should be quite crucial to the case.”

It’s unclear if the police will contact Klatzow to collect the exhibits.

‘SHOOTING NOT STAGED’

Klatzow has dismissed suggestions that his shooting incident was staged.

He says his study of the bullet holes in the car Kunene was driving accords with his version of events.

“The trajectory into the car’s shallow, which would expect from shot at a distance, they all seem to be on the level of the lower body except one which was the chest level that struck the door frame.”

Klatzow says about 13 cartridges were found on the scene and it’s not unusual that only seven hit the car.

“Shooting at night under those conditions when you’re running, somebody clearly was firing shots aimed at whoever was on the passenger side of that car.”

Despite not retrieving two bullets from the car the police say they are satisfied all procedures were followed during their investigation.

POLICE DISMISS NEGLIGENCE

The police have dismissed allegations of negligence after it emerged that investigators failed to recover potentially crucial evidence from the car Kunene was driving when he was apparently shot at.

Peters said it is possible that investigators missed one or two items of evidence but denies they were negligent.

She said investigators even returned to the scene of the shooting a day later to ensure they had not missed any evidence.

Eyewitness News asked why a constable had been assigned to a seemingly high profile case.

Peters said with all cases, adequately trained and capable investigating officers are assigned, irrespective of their rank.

She said it is standard practice for a senior member to oversee all cases.

(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)