McBride’s daughter obtains protection order against him
Ipid head Robert McBride appeared in the Pretoria Magistrates Court on Wednesday on charges relating to the Children’s Act where he was released on R10,000 bail.
PRETORIA – Eyewitness News has learnt that Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) head Robert McBride’s daughter has obtained a protection order against him.
McBride appeared in the Pretoria Magistrates Court on Wednesday where he was released on R10,000 bail.
It emerged this week that his teenage daughter had opened a case against him after he allegedly beat and throttled her last week.
The family friend, who is assisting McBride’s daughter, has confirmed an interim protection order was obtained at the Brooklyn Police Station.
The development came as McBride made his appearance in the Pretoria on charges relating to the Children’s Act.
The state did not oppose bail on condition he agrees not to interfere with witnesses.
McBride says he wants the trial to start as soon as possible so he can clear his name.
The matter resumes in October.
WATCH: Robert Mcbride's daughter speaks out on assault claims
On Monday, McBride’s daughter told EWN that the assault was not an isolated incident.
“It happens all the time. From the time I started living with him, almost every night, every second night... whenever he’s got a chance to argue with me or fight with me, he would end up hitting me, and not just like hiding... throwing me against things or banging my head into things or whatever.”
McBride denied he assaulted his daughter on 19 August and says he was merely admonishing her.
The teenager said she didn't want the assault case against her father to be covered up.
“I don’t want it to be swept under the carpet because of who he is or because people are too scared to speak out against him because he’s powerful.”
She insisted she is not being used by her father’s opponents to taint his reputation.
_Editor's note: Protecting the identity of minors and reporting ethically is of utmost importance to Eyewitness News and informed how we reported on this story – so we thought we’d share that process with you. __When we first broke the assault story on Saturday, August 26, we had decided not to name or identify the young woman as Robert McBride’s daughter – and therefore decided to merely refer to her as a McBride’s “minor relative”. This decision was informed by the Child Protection Act. _It is only after McBride himself subsequently released a statement in which he revealed the complainant was his daughter, without naming her – that we changed how we referred to her. It was in the public domain after all. It is from this point onwards that we reported that it was McBride’s daughter making the assault claims against him. When this young lady first approached us with her story we informed her that we would not show her face in any of the videos or pictures. A subsequent video was recorded showing only her hands and nothing of her face.
(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)