Govt to contribute R8 million for Sierra Leone aid relief

Nearly 500 people were killed and about 3,000 have been left homeless after the side of Sugar Loaf mountain collapsed onto a community.

FILE: Search and rescue team members and soldiers operate near a mudslide site and damaged building near Freetown, Sierra Leone on August 15, 2017. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - Government has announced plans to contribute R8 million to Sierra Leone as part of relief efforts following a deadly mudslide.

Nearly 500 people were killed, as many as 600 are still missing and about 3,000 have been left homeless after the side of Sugar Loaf mountain collapsed onto a community last week.

International relations minister Maite Nkoane Mashabane says: “Instead we are announcing an initial financial contribution of R8 million rand for humanitarian assistance through the United Nations World Food Programme.”

The minister says the aid will help support relief efforts.

“This contribution is for the provision of material for temporary shelter, medical supplied and food aid.”