NUM to fight Sibanye Gold retrenchments

Sibanye Gold on Thursday announced planned retrenchments of around 7,400 employees at its Gauteng and Free State operations.

FILE: Sibanye Gold's Cooke 1 shaft. Picture: sibanyegold.co.za.

JOHANNESBURG – The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) says it’s shocked by the latest announcement of job cuts in the sector.

Sibanye Gold on Thursday announced planned retrenchments of around 7,400 employees at its Gauteng and Free State operations.

The mine says it hasn’t made profit at the Beatrix West and Cooke operations.

NUM president Piet Matosa says they will fight these retrenchments.

“We’ll oppose these retrenchments as we have said before. It’s a pity and that they are adding on the numbers of people that are going to be sentenced to poverty.”

Last month, the Bokoni Platinum Mine in Limpopo announced it would cut 2,600 job cuts.