Municipality provides security to DA councillors after death threats

Nelson Mandela Bay Mayor Athol Trollip says the two DA councillors received these threats via SMS last week.

FILE: Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality Athol Trollip. Picture: EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality says it has provided security to two senior Democratic Alliance (DA) councillors after they received death threats.

Mayor Athol Trollip has on Tuesday revealed the DA’s chief whip in council Werner Senekal and Roads and Transport Mayco member Rano Kayser received these threats via SMS last week.

Trollip says the two councillors have since alerted police.

“We took a decision to make a public statement about this because what we really want to achieve is to prevent any kind of violence, loss of life or assassinations. We want to put it on record that we’re not going to be intimidated. We’ll do everything in our power to get to the bottom of the situation.”

He adds allegations have been made that the threats could potentially be linked to cases that were opened by Senekal and Kayser after they were assaulted during a council meeting in October last year.

Two African National Congress councillors were charged in connection with the attack and are expected back in court on 31 July.

(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)