Authorities probe destructive Masiphumelele blaze
The blaze broke out in Kanana Road shortly before 1 o'clock on Tuesday morning.
CAPE TOWN - Authorities are probing the cause of a fire that left about 40 people homeless in Masiphumelele near Kommetjie. The blaze broke out in Kanana Road shortly before 1 o'clock on Tuesday morning.
About 15 structures were destroyed, but no injuries were reported.
Masiphumelele Section D community leader Brian Nomcunga says some of those affected are now living with relatives, while others have sought shelter in a community hall.
“We couldn’t get the information on how the fire started because the owner of the shack where the fire started ran away. So now we don’t know what happened. We’re not sure if the fire was caused by a candle or if he was using paraffin to cook."