Santaco calls off planned strike
Santaco says its national executive committee will be meeting with Transport Minister Joe Maswanganyi on Friday.
Santaco says its national executive committee will be meeting with Transport Minister Joe Maswanganyi on Friday to discuss a number of problems in the industry.
Santaco's Gauteng Secretary General Ralph Jones says chief among them is the fact that the taxi industry remains unsubsidised.
“There’s no more business for them because of the high-interest rate, the unfairness that we have been treated, cars being impounded by government and permits are not being issued. So it’s a whole list [of grievances].”
Last month, Santaco said failure by government to subsidise their business was killing the industry.
The association said it did not understand why they are not subsidised as they are the biggest form of public
transport in the country.
During the taxi strike last month, thousands of motorists were stranded around Gauteng early when key routes were blocked.
The taxis later moved to Emperors Palace in Kempton Park, where Santaco President Phillip Taaibosch shared with them the outcome of talks with several stakeholders, including SA Taxi Finance Holdings.