Orange Farm community unhappy with police efforts to find missing teens

Both parents of the missing boys and those rescued say they had to threaten the police with a strike to the station before they could act.

FILE: Young boys attending a traditional initiation school. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG – Orange Farm police say that they have rescued 13 of the 29 teenage boys who were reported missing since the beginning of the initiation season.

The police say the number of missing boys between the ages of 12 and 17 escalated since the middle of June as a result of illegal facilities.

Despite the police’s efforts, community members say that they are not happy because police have not done enough.

Both parents of the missing boys and those rescued say they had to threaten the police with a strike at the station before they would act.

One mother says that police are not doing their work.

“They are lying those police. They are telling lies because most parents are crying because the children are still missing.”

However, the police’s Johannes Motsiri says that they have launched an operation to find the kids.

“We’ve got an operation that has been launched since last week to go and look for the children. It’s just unfortunate for some of the parents.”

Motsiri confirmed that some of the children found on Tuesday night was after the community went out to look for them.

(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)