SABC: No golden handshake for sacked Hlaudi Motsoeneng

Board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama told Parliament’s Communications Committee on Tuesday that there will be no golden handshake for Motsoeneng.

FILE: Hlaudi Motsoeneng addresses musicians and members of the media at the Milpark Garden Court on his current disciplinary process. Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN

CAPE TOWN – Axed former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Chief Operating Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng will be leaving the broadcaster without a cent.

Board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama told Parliament’s Communications Committee on Tuesday that there will be no golden handshake for Motsoeneng.

The Special Investigating Unit will also be probing an R11 million bonus paid to him last year, for a deal he negotiated with Multichoice.

He’s already been fired, but Motsoeneng is due to face a second disciplinary inquiry as result of recommendations made by the Public Protector.

Kweyama says even though Motsoeneng still has to report for duty for another month, she’s not hopeful that the process will be concluded before he leaves.

“It’s unlikely that it will happen but we just want to leave the room, we have issued the charges, we have given them ten days, so in the next week we would go to the disciplinary hearing but the pattern has been to delay the process.”

Communications Minister Ayanda Dlodlo said with no performance management system in place at the SABC, it was unclear on what basis Motsoeneng was paid the R11 million bonus.

WATCH: The praise-singing press conference which got Hlaudi Motsoeneng fired

(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)