UK trying to establish if London attackers had support - police chief

Militants drove a van at high speed into pedestrians on the bridge before stabbing revellers on the street and in bars in the nearby Borough Market area on Saturday night in what authorities described as a terrorist attack.

Police officers and emergency response vehicles are seen on the street outside Borough Market on June 04, 2017 the morning after a terror attack on London Bridge and the Borough area in London. Picture: AFP

LONDON - British police investigating Saturday's attack on London Bridge are working to establish whether the militants were supported by anyone else, the head of the city's police force said on Monday.

"A very high priority for us obviously is to try to understand whether they were working with anyone else, whether anybody else was involved in the planning of this attack and to find out the background to it," London's Metropolitan Police chief Cressida Dick told BBC TV.

"We've carried out searches in a variety of places in east London and we've seized a huge amount of forensic material, so we're working very quickly."

Militants drove a van at high speed into pedestrians on the bridge before stabbing revellers on the street and in bars in the nearby Borough Market area on in what authorities described as a terrorist attack.

Armed police rushed to the scene where shots were heard and authorities urged Londoners on Twitter to “run, hide, tell” if they were caught in the attack. The BBC cited police as saying there had been more than one fatality.

Britain’s Sun newspaper said seven people were feared killed and two attackers were shot dead by police near London Bridge, but there was no immediate confirmation of this. Sky News said police were unable to confirm all attackers were accounted for.

The attacks come days ahead of a 8 June election and less than two weeks after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a pop concert by United States singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

The BBC showed a photograph of two possible London attackers shot by police, one of whom had canisters strapped to his body. Hours after the attack the area remained sealed off.