Van Breda trial: Defence hones in on security at murder site
Henri van Breda’s lawyer is cross-examining security guard Lorenzo Afrika, who was the first person on the scene on the night of the murder.
CAPE TOWN - Security at the De Zalze home of the murdered van Breda family has come under sharp focus at the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday.
Henri van Breda is accused of axing his parents and brother to death in January 2015.
His lawyer, Advocate Matthys Combrink, is cross-examining security guard Lorenzo Afrika, who was the first person on the scene on the night of the murder.
Afrika used to work for the Thorburn security company and was on duty on the night of the murders.
He has told the court that he saw no one wandering around the estate that night.
Combrink then asked Afrika to point out exactly where CCTV cameras are situated on the perimeter fence and in which direction they face.
Afrika has told the court that some are fixed and some are thermal cameras which can move around when movement is detected.
The defence is trying to show how effective the security system was that night, to support its argument there was a security breach.
CRIME TREND AT DE ZALZE
Advocate Pieter Botha said there were 190 crimes at the De Zalze Estate, including break-ins, over a 13-year period.
The defence advocate said there had been 24 break-ins at the estate from 2002 to 2015.
Botha also disputed Sergeant Adrian Kleynhans' statement that it was “extremely difficult to access properties”.
Kleynhans replied by conceding it would have been possible for a thin intruder to gain entry via windows left partially open on the morning of the axe murders.
Traces of blood were found on the outside wall, below the bedroom windows that were ajar.
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)