MEC to visit family of Coligny boy
Ward councillor Jonny Leteane says the family has positively identified the boy who was allegedly murdered by farmers.
Editor's note: An earlier version of this article stated that the boy was 12 year's old based on information from police, who have since clarified that he was 16.
JOHANNESBURG - North West Education MEC Sello Lehari is visiting the parents of the 16-year-old boy who was allegedly murdered by farmers in Coligny.
The child’s alleged murder sparked protests in the town last week, with residents burning and looting property.
The boy was only identified on Sunday, almost two weeks after his death.
Ward councillor Jonny Leteane says the family has positively identified the child as Faki Mosweu.
Local school principal Stanley Mnyakama helped the police track down his relatives.
“They were not sure that it was him. They’re hoping for justice but you know in our country justice seems to favour the rich.”
Two men appeared in the Coligny Magistrates Court on Friday on murder charges.
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)