Eskom denies involvement in death threats against Mzilikazi wa Afrika
Last month Mzilikazi wa Afrika wrote that Impulse International raked in contracts worth about R1 billion from Eskom.
JOHANNESBURG - The Eskom board says the parastatal is in no way involved in death threats against _Sunday Times _investigative journalist Mzilikazi wa Afrika.
The Sunday Times reported on Sunday that it has credible information that the journalist could be in danger, because of his reporting on the lucrative tenders Eskom has awarded to Impulse International, a company in which the stepdaughter of Eskom boss Matshela Koko was a director.
Last month wa Afrika wrote that Impulse International raked in contracts worth about R1 billion from the utility.
It’s understood wa Afrika has signed an affidavit detailing the threats and the results of an investigation into the identities of some of the people behind them.
Over a series of reports, the journalist has revealed that Koketso Choma, who graduated as a chartered accountant three years ago, was appointed as a director at Impulse International in April last year.
Over the 11 months following her appointment, the company was awarded eight contracts from a division of Eskom that Koko headed at the time.
Koko maintains he was not aware his stepdaughter was a part of Impulse International and says he ordered her to resign once he was informed.
Eskom board spokesperson Khulani Koma says wa Afrika's reports do not mean any of the threats against him come from the power utility.
“The Sunday Times in its own story did not actually point a finger at Eskom and I think that’s correct because we’re not aware of any such move from ourselves as Eskom.”
Koma says the board is still investigating the matter and will communicate its findings in due course.
(Edited by Winnie Theletsane)