Maimaine: I wore bulletproof vest because of death threats

The DA had initially planned to march to Luthuli House but since abandoned the move due to safety concerns.

DA leader Mmusi Maimane addressed thousands of #DAMarch supporters who marched to Mary Fitzgerald square in Johannesburg against the leadership of President Jacob Zuma on 7 April 2017. Picture: Reinart Toerien/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG – Democratic Alliance (DA) leader Mmusi Maimane says he felt it necessary to wear a bulletproof vest during the Johannesburg leg of the anti-Zuma march because he feared for his life.

The DA had initially planned to march to Luthuli House but since abandoned the move due to safety concerns.

This week the uMkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) announced it would send about 600 of its members from KwaZulu-Natal to guard the ANC headquarters.

Maimane says he wore a bulletproof vest earlier on Friday in the CBD because he got death threats after initially saying that his party would march to Luthuli House.

“I will never shy away. It’s the first time I wore one simply because of the amount of threats by people who don’t believe in constitutionalism.”

The DA leader says he had to make a choice.

“I had a choice. I could either stay back or I could take every bit of security measure that I could."

While some have criticised the DA leader for leading a march that he didn't believe was safe, he says the party took every measure possible to ensure that those taking part were not in any jeopardy.

(Edited by Masechaba Sefularo)