Who’s fooling who - Phahlane uninformed or deliberately misleading, says Save SA

Khomotso Phahlane says according to the documents the police have the marches planned to take place in Tshwane on Friday remain a contravention of the law.

FILE: This file photo shows Khomotso Phahlane. Picture: Reinart Toerien/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG – Despite reports the magistrates court has granted permission for the march in Pretoria on Friday, Acting Police Commissioner Khomotso Phahlane says according to their knowledge it is still illegal.

The Tshwane Metro Police Department had earlier on Thursday said the South African Communist Party and Save SA were unable to submit the required documents and therefore made the marches illegal.

However, after Save SA approached the courts on Thursday evening it reported that the magistrate had granted them permission to continue with the protest action.

The organisation's Mark Heywood says, “Unfortunately General Phahlane has not been properly briefed by his staff. Either that or he is being deliberately misleading. We have permission now from the Magistrate Court giving permission for the march from Church Square to the Union Buildings between 11am and 4pm.”

But Phahlane says according to the documents they have the marches remain a contravention of the law.

“I thought I was very clear, that as we are sitting here we did not have approval for any of the marches or protest action planned for Tshwane. So if there are rumours that there has been permission, it remains rumours until there is concrete approval.”

(Edited by Masechaba Sefularo)