Phahlane: Permission for Tshwane marches remains a rumour

Acting Police Commissioner Khomotso Phahlane says he’s not aware that urgent court application to ensure Save SA march goes ahead had been granted.

FILE: Former acting National Police Commissioner Khomotso Phahlane. Picture: EWN.

JOHANNESBURG – There is still confusion around the status of Friday's two main marches against President Jacob Zuma, as Acting Police Commissioner Khomotso Phahlane now says the planned Tshwane marches are illegal.

Phahlane is addressing a media briefing in Arcadia, Pretoria on the status of the marches.

He says there has not been any permission granted.

Earlier this evening, Eyewitness News received confirmation that Save SA's urgent court application to ensure the group's march goes ahead as planned on Friday had been granted.

“I thought I was very clear, that as we are sitting here we did not have approval for any of the marches or protest action planned for Tshwane. So if there are rumours that there has been permission, it remains rumours until there is concrete approval.”

The group approached the court this evening, just hours after the metro police said that no permission had been given for the so called "people's march” on the Union Buildings demanding that President Zuma step down.

Earlier Save SA convenor Mark Heywood said that officials were giving them the runaround and that they had complied with all requirements.

“I don’t think we can be faulted. I am just worried what is behind this. We will get to the bottom of that.”

(Edited by Masechaba Sefularo)