ANC distances itself from marches to Luthuli House
The MKMVA's chairperson Kebby Maphatsoe says there will be no violence as long as the ANC’s headquarters is left alone.
JOHANNESBURG - The African National Congress (ANC) has distanced itself from any planned marches to its headquarters whether in protest or in defence of the party.
This comes after a decision by the military veterans association in KwaZulu-Natal to deploy 600 soldiers to Luthuli House on Friday to guard the building during planned marches against President Jacob Zuma’s recent decisions regarding his Cabinet.
The Democratic Alliance is due to march from the Westgate transport hub to Mary Fitzgerald Square, while the SACP will gather at the National Treasury and later join a Save SA rally at the Union Buildings.
Earlier, the MKMVA said it was prepared to defend the ANC and Zuma at all costs.
The association's chair Kebby Maphatsoe says there will be no violence as long as the ANC’s headquarters is left alone.
“We are not going to allow that anarchy. We will restrain our comrades to be only at Luthuli House.”
The ANC has called on all South Africans to organise their marches in a calm and peaceful manner.
Meanwhile, Save SA says they have submitted the required documentations to go ahead with Friday’s march to the Union Buildings as requested by the Tshwane metro police.
The movement says it has submitted the documents earlier on Friday morning.
WATCH: Civil society reacts to Cabinet reshuffle
(Edited by Winnie Theletsane)