Eskom board ordered to probe acting CEO over R1bn contract claims

Public Enterprises' Colin Cruywagen says Minister Lynne Brown has given Eskom clear instructions on how to deal with the allegations against acting CEO Matshela Koko.

FILE: Eskom's group chief executive officer (CEO) Matshela Koko. Picture: eskom.co.za

JOHANNESBURG – The Public Enterprises Ministry has instructed Eskom’s board to investigate claims against acting CEO Matshela Koko regarding his stepdaughter who allegedly benefitted from contracts amounting to R1 billion.

The Sunday Times reported that 26-year-old Koketso Choma was a director of Impulse International when it was awarded the contracts by Eskom.

Koko says that when he found out in October last year that the company had benefitted, he told her to resign.

The board has been instructed to report back to the ministry within 90 days.

Public Enterprises spokesperson Colin Cruywagen says Minister Lynne Brown has given Eskom clear instructions on how to deal with the allegations.

“Minister Lynne Brown has asked the Eskom board to investigate the matter and come back to her with a report within 90 days.”

At the same time, Eskom’s Khulu Phasiwe says it is unfortunate that the allegations have raised suspicion around the deal with Impulse International.

“The company essentially is one of those companies that specialises with project management. They were asked on that capacity to assist with the completion of Medupi and Kusile.

“And unfortunately we now have a situation where there’s perception that they only got this contract because of the association with the CEO.”

Koko has denied being directly involved in the awarding of tenders.

(Edited by Leeto M Khoza)