Van Breda trial: Judge suspends order on live media coverage

Judge Siraj Desai earlier on Monday ruled that the media would be allowed to broadcast the murder trial live, but that has since been suspended.

FILE: Triple murder accused Henri van Breda leaves the Stellenbosch Magistrates Court on 14 June 2016 after being released on R100,000 bail. Picture: Aletta Harrison/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - Western Cape High Court Judge Siraj Desai has suspended an earlier ruling granting live coverage of the Henri van Breda murder trial.

Judge Siraj Desai earlier on Monday ruled that the media would be allowed to broadcast the trial live. He, however, ruled that no photos would be allowed to be taken of van Breda's sister Marli before, during or after proceedings and that no audio recordings between legal representatives would be allowed to be taken.

The judge added that no exhibits would be allowed to be photographed or published.

DEFENCE TO APPEAL COVERAGE DECISION

Van Breda's legal team says it will appeal the judge's decision to allow live coverage of the trial.

The defence team is very unhappy and is demanding that Desai provide reasons for allowing rolling coverage.

Defence lawyer Pieter Botha says he will head to the Constitutional Court to have the judge's decision overruled if necessary.

The order for live coverage of the trial has been suspended, but the criminal matter is expected to get underway on Monday afternoon.

Van Breda is accused of killing his parents and older brother at their home in Stellenbosch in January 2015.

Multi-millionaire businessman Martin van Breda, his wife Teresa and their son Rudi were axed to death in their De Zalze home. Marli van Breda survived the attack.