Sibiya: I knew Richard Mdluli case would ruin my career
Former Gauteng Hawks head Shadrack Sibiya says he could see it was going to be a career limiting investigation but he had no choice but to obey the order.
Sibiya says he could see it was going to be a career-limiting investigation but he had no choice but to obey the order from former deputy commissioner Godfrey Lebeya.
Sibiya took the stand after the judge summoned him to answer questions in connection with the Mdluli case.
He says when Lebeya assigned him to investigate the Mdluli case, he knew it was going to ruin his career.
When Judge Ratha Mokgoatlheng asked Sibiya why he didn’t refuse the case, he told the court he had to obey orders.
He says, however, the case resulted in his team getting life threats to a point that it decided to hand over the case to another team in Cape Town.
Sibiya has refuted claims that he and his investigation team influenced and manipulated witnesses to make Mdluli look bad.
He told the high court that the Zimbabwean rendition case against himself and his former boss Anwa Dramat was wrongfully used against them to end their careers.
Sibiya claims they were never involved in the rendition matter and were targeted because they led the investigation against Mdluli.
He says while he and Dramat were not involved in the illegal rendition of Zimbabweans in 2010, they were accused of this anyway.
Sibiya claims the rendition was handled by crime intelligence officials.
A 2015 internal hearing found that although Sibiya was not involved in the arrest of the Zimbabweans, he knew about and sanctioned the operation.
He testified on Wednesday that former Limpopo deputy police commissioner Berning Ntlemeza had been rewarded with a promotion to Hawks boss after his investigation report into Mdluli.
(Edited by Winnie Theletsane)