Another JHB taxi rape victim comes forward
The woman says she boarded the taxi on Oxford Road on Friday before being forced at gunpoint to perform oral sex on one of the three men inside.
JOHANNESBURG - As police investigate whether serial rapists are targeting female taxi commuters in Johannesburg, another woman has come forward saying she was sexually assaulted by three men in a minibus taxi last week.
The Johannesburg woman has told Eyewitness News how she boarded the taxi on Oxford Road on Friday afternoon, before being forced at gunpoint to perform oral sex on one of the three men inside.
On Thursday morning, Eyewitness News revealed that police were investigating several similar cases reported in Roodepoort and Soweto.
The Johannesburg woman says she was encouraged to speak out after hearing a story of another woman who was raped at the back of a taxi in front of her 10-year-old son on Sunday.
She says she usually takes a taxi home after work at the same spot every day and Friday’s traumatic events were completely unexpected.
“I started crying and I told myself I need to do something.”
She says she’s still battling to get police to help her.
“I just want them to show interest and attempt to arrest these people.”
A screengrab of CCTV footage of a minibus taxi in which a woman says she was sexually assaulted by three men. Picture: Supplied.
Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane has held a meeting with taxi associations in Johannesburg, following reports of a string of sexual assaults on women by taxi drivers.
Nkosi-Malobane has called on more possible victims to come forward and report the crimes.
RESPECT AND PROTECT WOMEN
Nkosi-Malobane is now calling on taxi drivers to respect and protect women.
“The worst is when a mother is raped in front of her child.”
Nkosi-Malobane is urging taxi owners to take it upon themselves to ensure that rapists in the industry are brought to book.
“We can’t afford to have a situation where women get into a taxi thinking that they’re safe only to end up being rape victims.”
Gauteng National Taxi Alliance’s Theo Malele says they’re equally saddened.
“We do not as an industry support such barbaric acts. We strongly denounce these acts.”
Nkosi-Malobane says most of the rape survivors are now receiving counselling.
Meanwhile, the African National Congress Women's League (ANCWL) has defended itself, following claims that it’s not doing enough to speak out on crimes against women.
The ANCWL’s spokesperson Jacqui Mofokeng says work is going on behind the scenes and the league doesn’t need to inform the media on every programme.
“There’s a programme now at the Department of Justice about domestic violence.
We have about six women in the programme that were sent by the ANCWL. It has been advertised so that we can help rape victims.”
(Edited by Zamangwane Shange)