MPs call on cops to prioritise Zane Dangor break-in probe
Former Social Development Director-General Zane Dangor described the break-in as strange, saying it could've been an act of intimidation.
JOHANNESBURG - Members of Parliament have called on authorities to prioritise an investigation into a break-in at the home of former Social Development Director-General Zane Dangor.
Parliament’s Standing Committee on Public Accounts (Scopa) and the Social Development Portfolio Committee have urged police to get to the bottom of the break-in, which occurred earlier this week.
After a scuffle with Dangor's son, the pair fled.
The former director-general says his son managed to get away and locked himself, his sister, their helper and Dangor’s granddaughter in one of the bedrooms.
Dangor described the incident as strange, saying it could've been an act of intimidation.
He added the attackers had already fled when police arrived.
“They didn’t steal anything. Police said they couldn’t make a case because nothing was stolen.”
Earlier this month, Dangor resigned from his Social Development Department post amid a legal battle into the distribution of social grants.
At the time, Dangor said he resigned due to major disagreements over the payment of the grants.
“It’s a breakdown in the relationship between myself and the minister following disagreements on the management of the processes on paying the grants on 1 April, particularly disagreements on Sassa’s obligation in relation to the Constitutional Court.”
This break-in follows an incident at the Chief Justice’s office, where 15 computers were stolen in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Burglars also broke into the hotel room of Water and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokonyane in the Eastern Cape and stole several items at the weekend.
(Edited by Shimoney Regter)